[flac-dev] [Cellar] FLAC Markdown

Andrew James Weaver weevz at uw.edu
Tue Jun 6 03:52:37 UTC 2017

Hello all!
(cc-ing the flac-dev list)

I would like to give an update as to the recent CELLAR work on the FLAC
specification.

• Work has been done to make internal and external links more accurate and
reliable.
• 'Rice Coding' has been clarified as 'Exponential Golomb Coding.'
• Clarifications have been made for binary representation.
• Typos and other small changes have been fixed for clarity.

Lastly, a version 00 release has been made (available at
https://github.com/privatezero/flac_markdown/releases) and the draft
document has been uploaded to the IETF datatracker (
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-xiph-cellar-flac/)

All the best!
Andrew Weaver

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Dave Rice <dave at dericed.com> wrote:

> On May 12, 2017, at 1:05 PM, Dave Rice <dave at dericed.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> And cc'ing flac-dev.
>
> On May 10, 2017, at 12:15 PM, Dave Rice <dave at dericed.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On May 10, 2017, at 11:19 AM, Andrew James Weaver <weevz at uw.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello all!
>
> In a previous discussions on this list about people interested in working
> on the FLAC standard, I said that I would be willing to start the process
> of converting the existing standard into Markdown. I am writing to inform
> the list that I have begun preliminary work on this conversion.
>
> Currently that work is living here https://github.com/
> privatezero/flac_markdown.
>

> I sent a pull request at https://github.com/privatezero/flac_markdown/
> pull/1, which starts to add a process to convert the markdown to the RFC
> format using the same Makefile approach that we use with the FFV1 and EBML
> markdown files. There's still a lot of inter-document cross-referencing
> that needs to be adjusted before the Makefile works. For instance current
> cross-referencing like:
>
> [*SUBFRAME\_VERBATIM*](#subframe_verbatim)
>
> won't render as expected in a plain text RFC, but would simply render to
> something like "Section X.X.X".
>
> In EBML we use markdown such as
>
> See [the section on `Element Data Size`](#element-data-size) for rules that apply to elements of unknown length.
>
> so that in the RFC this renders to
>
> See Section 7 for rules that apply to elements of unknown length.
>
> and in the markdown it renders to
>
> See the section on Element Data Size
> <https://github.com/Matroska-Org/ebml-specification/blob/master/specification.markdown#element-data-size>
>  for rules that apply to elements of unknown length.
>

> I added some issues to the flac_markdown repository and Andrew addressed
> them in https://github.com/privatezero/flac_markdown/pull/7. Most of
> these issues pertain to unintended semantic differences between the FLAC
> specification as it exists in its original HTML form at
> https://xiph.org/flac/format.html and the markdown rendition being worked
> on at https://github.com/privatezero/flac_markdown/blob/master/flac.md.
>
> Since the recent work focuses on a change of format from HTML to markdown,
> I suggest that short term goals on the flac specification focus on:
> - verifying semantic equalness with the html version
> - resolving issues that block the mmark/xml2rfc process that generates the
> RFC formats of the specification
> - add standard RFC boilerplate (abstract, rfc2119, etc)
>

> To summarize recent work on the FLAC specification, the document has been
> adjusted in its new markdown format in order to achieve semantic similarity
> to the original HTML rendition on the xiph.org site. In order to get the
> structural data (such as the tables at the end of https://xiph.org/flac/
> [...]

Andrew Weaver, MLIS
American Archive of Public Broadcasting
National Digital Stewardship Resident @ CUNY TV