[flac-dev] Fw: 32 bit data

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Sat Sep 26 15:11:52 PDT 2015

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 13:46:13 -0700
From: John La Grou <jl at jps.net>
To: Erik de Castro Lopo <erikd at mega-nerd.com>
Subject: 32 bit data

Erik, could you please post this to the FLAC mailing list. I've tried a
couple times, but nothing happens. Tks.

There are reasons to support 32-bit data. The emerging network standard
is based on a 32-int pipe (AVB/Dante). Dante now has over 200 licensees.

Higher dynamic range hardware and plug-in products are in the works. It
won't be long before the 24-bit barrier is commonly exceeded in certain
devices, though I agree with others here who point out that real-world
<systemic> dynamic range will likely remain under 20 bits (room => mic
=> pre => ADC => DAW processing => delivery format => DAC => analog
stage => amplifier => speakers/HP => room noise)

I believe Reaper and Audition maintain lossless 32-int within a 64-float
engine, with more DAW makers to come.

And as some have noted, there's movement towards 32-bit audiophile
delivery.

FLAC should be the 32-bit delivery format of choice.

--

John La Grou