[flac-dev] Apple afconvert & SRC

LRN lrn1986 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 15:17:52 PDT 2015

On 20.07.2015 1:03, Brian Willoughby wrote:
>> On Jul 19, 2015, at 2:03 PM, Marcus Johnson wrote:
>>> Do you have a source on the CoreAudio quality thing? I'd be very interested in reading more about that.
>>
>> The following thread seems to touch on all the key words.
>>
>> http://www.macosxaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=45889
>>
>> Depending upon whether you're a developer and/or user, you might want to search further.
>
> Sorry for the non-FLAC content, but I will say that a utility like afconvert that also supported FLAC would be great. It would be very useful to be able to convert directly from a FLAC that is very large to a CAF, since the latter can exceed 4 GB without breaking the format.

If GStreamer has a plugin that can encode CAF, you can make a pipeline for
that easily (alternatively, avconv might do as well; though in that case
GStreamer should be able to, via gst-libav). The advantage here is that
there's no inherent duration/size limitation within the pipeline.

If that won't work, you might be able to feed a separate CAF encoder, if it
accepts data from stdin, but in that case it is very likely to trip over
some limit (like 4GB or some other WAV-y thing; most of the time these
kinds of tools expect RIFF WAV as input).

Either way, it's not FLAC that's the problem here.

--
O< ascii ribbon - stop html email! - www.asciiribbon.org