[flac-dev] flac-1.3.1pre1

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Tue Nov 25 16:25:25 PST 2014

On Nov 25 23:56:05, mvanb1 at gmail.com wrote:
> Op 25-11-14 om 23:39 schreef Jan Stary:
> > Is there a reason the test scripts are calling bash?
>
> The change from sh to bash was made a little more than a year
> ago. The mailing list thread accompanying this change can be
> found here:
> http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/flac-dev/2013-September/004374.html

How unfortunate, if I may say so.

	The main reason is that /bin/sh on linux can mean one of
	two things; bash in bourne shell comatibility mode or dash.

To accomodate a perverse system where /bin/sh does not mean sh(1),
but one of two other shells (!), compatibility is broken
for systems that either do not come with bash
or install it anywhere else but /bin/bash.

	The other issue is that using some bash features will allow me
	to reuse code and reduce the amount of shell script
	that needs to be mainatained.

Exactly which bash features are used here that sh(1) does not have,
and how much of that code is reused so that it balances
pissing off anything but a Linux distribution?

Jan