[flac-dev] R128gain & metaflac

Ian Nartowicz flac at nartowicz.co.uk
Wed Jun 18 17:08:09 PDT 2014

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 03:30:15 +0400
lvqcl <lvqcl.mail at gmail.com> wrote:

>Ian Nartowicz wrote:
>
>> The Opus replaygain spec is fundamentally broken, so let's ignore that for
>> now.  It is discussed ad nauseam elsewhere, but isn't going to change any
>> time soon.
>
>;)
>

>> I agree any replaygain reference loudness tag should only apply to other
>> REPLAYGAIN* tags, although placing R128 gain values (adjusted by some
>> arbitrary amount or otherwise) in REPLAYGAIN* tags raises some interesting
>> questions. As already discussed none of this *requires* a reference loudness
>> tag, but if there is one then it may as well be parsed. Who knows, maybe it
>> says something useful.  Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, nobody is
>> forcing you to use it or apply it to your music, so you shouldn't prevent
>> people who want it from having it.
>
>But *if* flac will switch to R128 algorithm, what should it write to
>REPLAYGAIN_REFERENCE_LOUDNESS tag? "89.0 dB" or "-18 LUFS"? (or "-18 LKFS"?)

I haven't seen a suggestion for what tags the R128 values would be
placed in.  Is it just assumed that they will be the same REPLAYGAIN* tags?  The
r128gain tool writes -23 LUFS into REPLAYGAIN_REFERENCE_LOUDNESS. I've also
seen a suggestion for a REPLAYGAIN_ALGORITHM tag, but I don't think it will
catch on.  Certainly some indication of anything that doesn't very closely
match the existing replaygain v2.0 secification should be indicated somewhere.

--ian