[flac-dev] R128gain & metaflac

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at xiph.org
Wed Jun 18 16:39:12 PDT 2014

Ian Nartowicz wrote:
> The Opus replaygain spec is fundamentally broken, so let's ignore that for
> now.  It is discussed ad nauseam elsewhere, but isn't going to change any time
> soon.

I haven't seen anyone make any concrete proposals for how it should
change. Maybe I missed something.

AFAIK, the only objection to it is that there is no way to distinguish
between whether the header gain is also an R128 album gain, or if it has
some other semantic meaning. That seems simple to address, not
"fundamentally broken".

If I've gotten this wrong, please help educate me.