[flac-dev] GCC/clang compilation issues

Oliver Stöneberg oliverst at online.de
Sun Dec 7 11:43:21 PST 2014

> I don't know, its your build system and I haven't seen it, nor do
> I have the time and motivation to look at it (unless of course you
> were paying me for my time). I willing give my time to maintain
> FLAC. I have not signed up to spend my time on your project.

And I am willing to looking at FLAC and spent my time to fix compiler
warnings to make it more portable and fixing potential issue and you
are being such a dick to me. As mentioned in my first mail I have
some patches lined up.
Very smart move to turn off a external contributor.

Also I mentioned in my first mail, that I have no idea what the
intention of that code is, so maybe just telling that instead of
telling me might have given me the change to fix it myself and then
submit that.

> > Unless you disable this warning in your build system.
>
> Well, you can look at our build system for yourself, but I can assure
> you that when I'm compiling FLAC in development (ie configured using
> "./configure --enable-werror") I am compiling with:
>
>      -Wall -Wextra -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
>      -Waggregate-return -Wcast-align -Wnested-externs -Wshadow -Wundef
>      -Wmissing-declarations -Wunreachable-code -Winline
>      -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Werror

Wow...that's a lot. We had to disable just one warning for now. I got
the feeling that list might have some obsolete ones in it.

> > Just using
> > autoconf or cmake instead of gcc/clang directly doesn't make them
> > compiler behave differently - unless you tell them to ;)
>
> Our autotool build system generates at least one header file (config.h,
> in the top level directory). Unless your build system generates the
> exact same header file, the results will be different.

I am aware of that and it appears you have no clue what autotool
actually does, since the file won't be "the exact same header fiile"
since autotool generates a completely different one for each system
you use...

> Our build system does not deisplay that warning (as you can easily
> prove for yourself, hint trying building with "V=1 make" so see the
> full compiler invocation). That should be the end of this discussion.

The question is what version you are using officially since I haven't
seen that warning before myself and I updated FLAC before and didn't
get around to commit it in our project and I didn't see it then. I
assume it's new to GCC 4.9.x and clang 3.5. LTS or not latest version
don't carry that yet and I guess you will run into that yourself as
soon as you update.