[flac-dev] Patch to add Unicode filename support for win32 flac

JonY 10walls at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 06:49:00 PDT 2013

On 3/19/2013 19:59, Janne Hyvärinen wrote:
> On 18.3.2013 12:25, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>> JonY wrote:
>>
>>> Before anyone does anything, see __wgetmainargs
>>> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff770599.aspx>.
>>>
>>> It can expand wildcards. Since it already provides argc/argv/env, it is
>>> more a less a drop-in replacement for the main() arguments.
>> +1
>>
>> Erik
>
> Alright, here's a patch utilizing this function. There's a lot of
> changes here.
> Project files have a new configuration called "Release (UTF8)", intended
> to be used when building the command line tools. This project has the
> required UTF-8 define in place so all libraries expect things in encoded
> format.
> Regular Debug and Release configurations do not use any new tricks so
> existing projects won't break when compiled with those settings.
>
> I'm at work and couldn't do extensive testing, but command line FLAC.exe
> seems to perform everything right with this.
>
> Metaflac probably requires some minor tweaks but I wanted to show some
> progress so that 1.3 doesn't slip out the door while I'm busy.

Should the following
#if defined _MSC_VER || defined __MINGW32__

be simplified to
#ifdef WIN32

? Alternatively _WIN32. Since it's win32 and not something compiler
specific.

As for the macros:
+#define flac_vfprintf vfprintf_utf8
+#define flac_fopen fopen_utf8
+#define flac_stat _stat64_utf8

I leave this up for Erik to decide, though I would have preferred not
using rename macros at all.

Not sure if these were intended:
+#include <sys/stat.h> /* for flac_stat() */
+#include <sys/utime.h> /* for flac_utime() */
+#include <io.h> /* for flac_chmod() */

As for calling __wgetmainargs, I have some concerns about the security
implications:
LoadLibrary("msvcrt.dll") <- Which msvcrt? Theoretical security exploit.

I think it is best to link it directly, please use the following
prototype and call it directly:

#ifdef _DLL
#define CALL_DLLIMPORT __declspec(dllimport)
#else
#define CALL_DLLIMPORT
#endif
int __cdecl CALL_DLLIMPORT __wgetmainargs(int*, wchar_t***, wchar_t***,
int, int*);

This should simplify the error handling logic and help against
LoadLibrary handle leaks, though the leak should not be an issue in
practice since it is only called once. The symbol should also be present
in MSVCR* DLLs.

In stat_utf8, dealing with 32bit/64bit time_t? The following check
should really compile time rather than runtime:
sizeof(*buffer) == sizeof(st)

That's all for now, I have not actually tested with mingw yet.