[flac-dev] Higher compression modes from Flake

Marko Uibo vinyylimees at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 05:14:37 PDT 2013

Ühel kenal päeval (kolmapäev, 13. märts 2013 11:20:33) kirjutas Martijn van
Beurden:
> On 13-03-13 10:49, Marko Uibo wrote:
> > I plan to test my ~20 GB flac collection how big difference flake -12
> > gives me. But I still use reference implementation for my main collection.
>
> If I remember correctly gains were less then 0,5%, which for 20GB will
> be 100MB, not enough to get even one extra album in.

My flac -8 folder is 18,1 GB and flake -12 folder is 17,9 GB. I don't know how
accurate it is but i think it gave little more than 100 MB. I have prog rock,
jazz, folk and new age music in this collection.

> If you like the idea of that little extra gain while sticking with FLAC
> (for hardware/software support) you might look into FLACCL, that encoder
> is still actively developed.

I prefer reference implementation.

Marko