[flac-dev] Can't cross-compile from git now.

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Tue Mar 12 15:50:59 PDT 2013

JonY wrote:

> Dave, my toolchain automatically links libssp already, I am using
> vanilla sources.

Are you doing a native Windows compile with MinGW or cross compiling
from Linux?

> Why not also check if -lssp is required? If the toolchain has SSP
> disabled it should not be passing. Check onces without -lssp and another
> time with -lssp if it failed.

If we can easily force the linking of libssp then that maky work. I'm
not real keen on having the Windows DLL require this extra libssp-X.dll.

> Also, I don't think a trivial hello world will cause SSP code to be
> emitted, try adding some arrays in stack with a deliberate overrun
> possibility for the link test.

Unfortunately its even more complicated than that. It can sucessfully
link and create a valid executable (with and without -lssp) which then
fails at run time because it can't find libssp-0.dll.

This stuff is broken. I cannot see any reasonable way to make this
work across the board. The best option I can suggest is a

    ./configure --enable-stack-smash-protect

which is disabled by default.

Erik