[flac-dev] 2GB limit patch

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Wed Mar 6 00:44:14 PST 2013

On Mar 4, 2013, at 22:50, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> nu774 wrote:
>> (2013/03/05 12:27), Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
>>> Nothing against you code, that's ugly ..but as it is a first step
>>> it can
>>> be forgiven :-)
>>>
>>> I will just force flac to be built with 64 bit file offsets and just
>>> reject any caller trying to include/link libflac into a non-lfs
>>> program
>>> like
>>>
>>> http://ac-archive.sourceforge.net/largefile/off_t_headers.html
>>>
>>> Then we can fix all the internal problems, without the need of
>>> typedef'ing around ;)
>>
>> Well, I'm afraid typedef'ing or something is mandatory for large file
>> support on win32, since off_t is *always* 32bit on win32 and flac
>> basically uses off_t everywhere for seek offset and file size.
>
> This requires an API change and hence is something that will need to
> wait for the next release.

This thread started on the topic of WAV files exceeding 2 GB. The
FLAC API would only need to change if the FLAC file size limits were
altered. Besides, I believe that FLAC is supposed to be a stream with
no maximum size limit. No API changes should be necessary for the
command-line FLAC to support 4 GB WAV files. Did I miss something?

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting