[flac-dev] 2GB limit patch

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Wed Mar 6 00:43:44 PST 2013

On Mar 4, 2013, at 20:03, nu774 wrote:
> (2013/03/05 12:27), Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
>> Nothing against you code, that's ugly ..but as it is a first step
>> it can
>> be forgiven :-)
>>
>> I will just force flac to be built with 64 bit file offsets and just
>> reject any caller trying to include/link libflac into a non-lfs
>> program
>> like
>>
>> http://ac-archive.sourceforge.net/largefile/off_t_headers.html
>>
>> Then we can fix all the internal problems, without the need of
>> typedef'ing around ;)
>
> Well, I'm afraid typedef'ing or something is mandatory for large file
> support on win32, since off_t is *always* 32bit on win32 and flac
> basically uses off_t everywhere for seek offset and file size.

I do not see the need to jump to 64-bit merely to get beyond the 2 GB
limit. There are modern API that handle 32-bit unsigned file lengths
- i.e., up to 4 GB - without going to 64-bit.

Besides, RF64 is the proper format for files that exceed 4 GB, while
standard RIFF/WAVE should allow reading of files up to 4 GB.

For maximum compatibility, writing WAV files over 2 GB should be
avoided whenever possible, since so many tools used signed 32-bit
file sizes.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting