[flac-dev] Sourceforge website redirecting

Olav Sunde ogs at olavsunde.net
Wed Jun 26 02:11:24 PDT 2013

At 09:06 26.06.2013, you wrote:
>Olav Sunde wrote:
>
>> I just followed the redirect Ralph Giles posted about above. That works
>> as expected, but on https://xiph.org/flac/download.html the Windows
>> link point to this page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/flac/files/flac-win/
>> with only old compiles.
>
>Thats correct. Xiph is responsible for the FLAC source code. Xiph does
>not provide binaries for Linux, Windows or Mac.

I'd say that is rather strange when it comes to Windows and Mac. The flac pages at Sourceforge always had links to binaries. For Linux, many will compile from source. I never compile anything, be it Linux or Windows. I know a few that compile on Linux of course, but none on Windows or Mac. Source code is still quite esoteric for many.

>Xiph assumes that people on Linux are getting FLAC via their Linux
>distribution or are compiling it from soruce code themselves.
>
>If someone has a link to Windows or Mac binaries for the latest release,
>please let us know and we will update the download page. We may even
>be willing to host the binaries on the Xiph web site.

I hope this can be arranged. John Edwards has posted on this early in June. I use the Windows binaries from rarewares.org.