[flac-dev] Question from Argentina

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Wed Jun 12 17:43:11 PDT 2013

Federico Miyara wrote:

> Thanks for your answer.
>
> >Well, today 4 GiB is about half an hour of 8-channel, 96 kHz, 24-bit
> >uncompressed audio, or about 0.9 % of the capacity of a modest 2 TB
> >HDD. Not much, in other words, and who hasn't cursed yet at artificial
> >4 GiB (or even 2 GiB) limitations? So I wouldn't be too sure about the
> >"ever", even though it does seem very far away at the moment.
>
> OK, I get the point, but even at 192 kb/s, 32 bit sample resolution
> and say... about 100 channels (but by the very definition of a sample
> count one should consider one sample per frame, even if it has 100
> subframes) one would have room for a 7616 year file!

Its not that we need space for 7616 years, its that if we only use
32 bit offsets, then we would be limited to files of 2 Gigabytes
(signed 32 bit integer) is simply not enough.

For instance, at 96kHz/24 bits, recording 8 channels would chew up
the 2Gigabytes in about 15 minutes. Some songs are longer than that,

If 32 bits is not enough, the next logical amount is 64 bits.

Erik