[flac-dev] Question from Argentina

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Wed Jun 12 16:14:07 PDT 2013

Dear Ulrich,

Thanks for your answer.

>Well, today 4 GiB is about half an hour of 8-channel, 96 kHz, 24-bit
>uncompressed audio, or about 0.9 % of the capacity of a modest 2 TB
>HDD. Not much, in other words, and who hasn't cursed yet at artificial
>4 GiB (or even 2 GiB) limitations? So I wouldn't be too sure about the
>"ever", even though it does seem very far away at the moment.

OK, I get the point, but even at 192 kb/s, 32 bit sample resolution
and say... about 100 channels (but by the very definition of a sample
count one should consider one sample per frame, even if it has 100
subframes) one would have room for a 7616 year file!

It seems a bet for a long life for FLAC --and for humankind!

Best regards,

Federico Miyara