[flac-dev] About Decode Streaming

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 04:49:53 PDT 2013

On 02-07-13 11:01, Burak Orçun Özkablan wrote:
> I don't use any metadata when encoding and decoding. When I call
>
> *FLAC__StreamDecoderStateString[FLAC__stream_decoder_get_state(m_decoder)]
> *
> *
> *
> it returns
>
> FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_METADATA
>
> enum value. Is it an error ?

There is always metadata in a FLAC stream, for example, the samplerate,
number of channels used, FLAC encoder version etc. This is called the
STREAMINFO block. This is the very first block of the stream. This state
tells that the decoder is still looking for that block.

So it seems there's something wrong in the data transfer, as FLAC can't
find the first block in the stream. I can think of three things: there
is no data received at all (because there is something wrong with the
connection or because it isn't sent at all), the data transferred is
corrupted/transformed somewhere or there is something wrong in the
process of reading data from the network stream.

Have you tried plain wav data first? That's a lot easier to
troubleshoot, you can make sure the problem is not in the
network-related stuff.