[flac-dev] Tag flac as flac 1.2.1_git

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Thu Jan 17 19:26:00 PST 2013

The flac front-end utility should have its own version number, on a
separate schedule from the flac library. I can see that we'd be able
to add features to the utility quite extensively without ever
changing the file format or the library. I realize that the utility
has historically shared the library version number, but I see a
strong case to separate them from each other to free up development
possibilities.

Apart from fixing some issues with newer compilers, the library is
the same code. It should probably remain 1.2.1 or advance to 1.2.2 if
there are actually any significant code changes.

If we can agree on separating the library and utility version
numbers, then I think we'll have a much better chance of agreeing on
version numbers. Not to mention the fact that embedded devices
without a command line or any other kind of utility won't needlessly
see version number changes when the format remains the same. On that
note, I suppose this means we might want to mark FLAC files with the
version of the utility that created them, since the format version
number won't indicate that going forward - perhaps an application
block would be appropriate.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting