[flac-dev] Encode wav to uncompressed flac

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Mon Dec 2 01:52:09 PST 2013

There is no quality difference between FLAC variations - compressed
or uncompressed (unless you force a 24-bit audio file into a 16-bit
FLAC, but that may not even be possible). The only thing that varies
with FLAC is the size of the file. There are many ways to store the
same data, some more efficient than others. FLAC ensures that the
exact same audio samples will reach your playback device, while
merely using less disk space (or network bandwidth) to represent the
same data. The whole point of FLAC is that it is lossless.

WAV files allow metadata, too. BWF (Broadcast Wave File) requires
even more metadata types than WAV. FLAC can preserve this metadata,
but is perhaps not the most efficient way to store some metadata.

What sorts of metadata do you need in the audio file?

As for uncompressed, all audio file formats except RAW have some
amount of overhead. With WAV, the overhead is somewhat fixed,
although there can be any amount of extra chunks of data. With FLAC,
if you force it to be uncompressed, the overhead is slightly larger
due to the block structure.

FLAC might be slightly more appropriate for streaming, because the
blocks are largely independent, unlike WAV where metadata is not
repeated more than once.

Bottom line, as Erik has been saying, there is absolutely no reason
not to use FLAC compression. There is nothing lost.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting