[flac-dev] Fwd: Metaflac UTF-8 fixes

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 12:50:39 PDT 2013

2013/4/23 Ulrich Klauer <ulrich at chirlu.de>:
> Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>
>> but I have used metaflac for
>> years (in my own bash-scripts) and never had any problems with UTF-8
>> (I never use anything but UTF-8) what so ever. What exactly am I
>> missing here?
>
> As you mention bash, you're probably on a *nix system. All those UTF-8 fixes are for Windows only.

Bash is available also for Windows, but you are right. I'm on Ubuntu
12.04 at the moment (had thoughts about switching to something else,
maybe Arch or whatever, but I didn't yet).
That makes sense anyway; in Windows you would expect UTF-16 or
something rather than UTF-8, I guess, if not ISO-8859-something. Or
even worse: Windows-1252… :P
But I didn't use Windows since 2007, so I'm not sure what happened
with it since then.

Johnny Rosenberg