[flac-dev] Status of flac; new release?

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Nov 29 07:36:15 PST 2012

Hi there,

I was quite joyed to discover that at least this mailing list has activity, and that there is even an active git project for flac...

because until then, I was firmly under the impression that flac is dead, and has been dead for years. Last website update 3 years ago, last release 5 years ago; tons of unfixed security and data corruption bugs, tons of not integrated patches on the SF.net patch tracker, etc. kind oflead me to that believe. I was already considering to make my own fork, converting the CVS repository (the official repos according to the website :-) etc.

But I am totally excited to learn this apparently won't be necessary. :-) So I do have a few questions:

1) Is there any chance the website could be updated? A minimal update would already have a tremendous impact: Just a blurb on the start page that the project is not dead, and a pointer to the new repos and maybe this list / its archive. That way, it would at least be clear where to search for current information.

Of course a more thorough update would be nice on the long run, but also much more work would be needed, and I don't know if you have anybody who can take care of it. But the minimal update should be a matter of well less than half an hour work or so, right? If you point me to the sources of the website, I'd even be happy to whip up a patch.

2) Any chance for a new release? Just bug fixes would be enough. I realize you may have new features planned, and that those are not yet done and hence not releasable etc. -- but at least a release based on the last stable one but with the known bugs fixed should be doable, I'd hope? Are there any release plans at all?

3) Does anybody feel responsible for going through the bug and patch trackers at SF.net? E.g. I submitted a patch over 3 years ago that simplified portability to windows (even though I don't even use that ;) and should give a small speed up, and it never was even touched... and there are several more patches that look good on the surface (though they might not apply anymore due to bitrot).

If there is something I can do to assist with any of these things, I'll try to help.

Cheers,
Max