[flac-dev] Compiling flac for OSX 10.4

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Fri Feb 10 02:21:33 PST 2012

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your efforts to support 10.4

I still run 10.4 on a G5.  I believe that it can sometimes be more
difficult to compile for 10.4 from newer systems, whereas building
for 10.4 on 10.4 is a cinch.

Note that the Xcode project may be broken.  I don't think that anyone
ever really used it.  I recall trying, and it was too broken, so I
gave up.  What I always do with FLAC is build from the command line
just like with any other flavor of Unix.

Did you try building FLAC from the command line using the normal Unix
instructions?

When you build under Xcode, did you build the Release version instead
of the Debug version?  Sometimes it necessary to make a Deployment
version or use something equivalent to make install.

Finally, did you try the flac 1.2.1 installer disk image that I
compiled?  Look on flac.sourceforge.net for flac-1.2.1.dmg - it
should have everything you need.  If there are any problems with this
build (and nobody has complained to me since 2009), then please let
me know so I can make corrections and update the installer.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting