[flac-dev] The FLAC website

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Wed Dec 12 18:57:53 PST 2012

On 14 September 2012 18:01, Martijn van Beurden <mvanb1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've updated the RSS feed and made the pages fetch and display that feed.
> Now only the feed had to be updated to update the pages as well.
>
> I have included a patch, however, I've never worked with git before so I
> hope everything is done correctly. If not, please tell me. I've removed the
> feeds/news-atom1.xml file, however that doesn't show up in the diff file?
>
> I would like to refresh the rest of the website as well, but changing the
> menu (to remove the russian part of the website for instance) requires to
> update all the pages, of which there are quite a lot. With my own website, I
> use PHP includes to keep a single 'header' and 'footer' file which is
> included in every page to keep updates easy. Would that be possible here as
> well? Does Xiph run on PHP? Are there other methods of 'including' a single
> header/footer that are preferable over PHP includes?

IIRC the xiph sites use server-side includes (apache SSI) for headers
and footers. I can't see the logs right now, but I vaguely recall that
someone started porting the flac site to use the usual xiph include
style, and that version is in SVN at:

http://svn.xiph.org/websites-new/flac.xiph.org/

perhaps that would be a good place to start, and co-ordinate with the
xiph.org webmaster about getting the new version installed.

cheers,

Conrad.