[Flac-dev] A-law and mu-law

Giulio Paci giuliopaci at interfree.it
Sat Nov 19 16:42:35 PST 2011

Hi Martijn,
	thank you for your answer. So the problem would be suboptimal
compression due to suboptimal assumption about the input signal, right?
What I do not understand is how the format of a FLAC format would be
affected by supporting A-law and mu-law files as input (and thus
output). Despite of suboptimal performance, is it possible to treat 8bit
*-law samples as 8bit linear PCM files and write down the original
format information in the output while decoding?

For my needs converting them to 16bit linear PCM is an option, but I
will need to keep track of the original format outside the file, which
is something that I would prefer to avoid. I would prefer to avoid
having multiple file format around (I mean containers format here) if
possible. Do you know of any container that supports both flac and *-law
streams?

Thank you again.
Bests,
	Giulio.