[Flac-dev] A-law and mu-law

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 10:13:44 PST 2011

Because u-law and a-law are non-linear algorithms and the mathematics of
FLAC (and AFAIK all lossless encoders) are build for linear PCM. Adding
these formats would change the FLAC format altogether, decoders are not
made to work with it (they can only output plain PCM) Best option would
be converting these files to 16-bit plain WAV and compressing, but I
guess files won't be much smaller that way. IMO best is to keep them as
they are.