[Flac-dev] MD5 Signature Mismatch

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Tue May 31 19:26:11 PDT 2011

I have a hardware device which records directly to FLAC.  I have
found that the MD5 signature is not created during recording,
probably because it would delay the process to calculate the MD5 on
hours of music after you push stop.  It's much easier to calculate
when converting existing audio rather than when recording new audio.
Anyway, my point here is that it is possible for a FLAC file to exist
without an MD5 signature, so my first suggestion is to learn how to
distinguish between a true "mismatch" and simply a "missing" MD5.  I
must admit that I don't pay attention, since I only get the warnings
when dealing with FLAC files from live recordings, never from
converted AIFF or WAVE.

As for why this is happening in the specific situations you've
described, I have no idea.  My suggestion is to first gather more
information, by learning how to confirm whether an MD5 Signature even
exists in these files before continuing to determine the reason for
the mismatch.

Maybe someone else has more information.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting