[Flac-dev] 64-bit FLAC structure sizes and padding

Jerker Bäck jerker.back at gmail.com
Sun May 29 22:46:25 PDT 2011

Hi all,
As I understand there could be issues to edit/create FLAC files in 64-bit
due to different structure sizes (data alignment and data structure padding
added by 64-bit compilers). I don't know if this have been dealt with before
in this list.

I suggest the following addition to the headers (understood by most
compilers)
#pragma pack(push,4)

FLAC_structures ...

#pragma pack(pop)

That is, retain 32-bit packing of structures even on 64-bit.

But I wonder if this is enough to keep compatibility with FLAC files created
in 32-bit, 64-bit pointers are still 8-bit.

Ideas, anyone?

Cheers Jerker