[Flac-dev] Using line spectral pairs for LPC quantization

Fernando Alberto Marengo Rodriguez fmarengorodriguez at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Jul 19 14:03:07 PDT 2011

Dear Stefan,
In the paper "Improved Forward-Adaptive Prediction for MPEG-4 Audio Lossless Coding", a non-linear compander is applied to the parcor coefficients prior to quantization. This compander is designed in order to minimize quantization error, especially for magnitudes close to unity.
If you determine the typical distribution of magnitudes of the LPC coefficients, you could design a good non-linear compander in order to minimize the error due to LPC coefficients quantization. By doing this, the input signal would be better estimated and the output residue (which occupies more than 90 % of the output bitrate) would be smaller.
Regards,

Fernando A. Marengo Rodriguez
Acoustics and Electroacoustics Laboratory
Faculty of Sciences, Engineering and Surveying
National University of Rosario
Rosario, Argentina
http://www.fceia.unr.edu.ar/acustica/codecdigital/integrantes.html#Fernando

Message: 1