[Flac-dev] Synchronizing a streaming client to the server Was: Idea to possibly improve flac?

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Sat Jan 8 13:48:01 PST 2011

The hearing tests which established the 20 kHz limit were based on
sustained, pure tones.  The 20 kHz limit is the average - some have a
lower limit, some have a higher limit.  But that value is basically
right for sustained tones.

The key is that our perception of audio is not completely described
by our response to sustained tones.  Our brain also analyzes
transients, even in the first one quarter cycle of a waveform.  Test
have been done using manipulated digital data to show that humans can
hear a difference if the transients are changed.  In other words,
different percussive sounds are perceived differently, even if the
only thing changed about the waveform is the first fraction of a
cycle.  This is almost completely unrelated to sustained waveforms
where every cycle is identical.  There's even some research showing
that the polarity of the initial half cycle is important to perception.

The bottom line is that you end up having to preserve high
frequencies that you might not be able to hear when they are
sustained, just so you can preserve the full attack of percussive
sounds.  It might seem like a waste of bandwidth if you focus on the
pure tones, since we can't really hear those, but the transient
response is the real key to recording realistic sounds.  The impulse
response of a system describes how clearly it reproduces original
sounds from nature.

Sorry for my quick attempt to summarize this.  A more thorough
investigation of the research into human hearing and perception can
be found in http://www.earthworksaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/
th_world_beyond_20khz.pdf

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting