[Flac-dev] Idea to possibly improve flac?

David Richards rawdod at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 14:38:34 PST 2011

I for one am not worried about getting mp3 encoded stuff in my flac
files, but I want to respond about "legitimate" OggFLAC.

OggFLAC as a format for files, I agree, used by no one. However, I
don't know of any other open source way to stream lossless audio.
Maybe I did not look hard enough. Certainly nothing I can think of
that would hope to be compatible with standard media player softwares
out there.

I am interested in streaming lossless audio, FLAC is probably the best
option for that. Currently the OggFLAC way of doing it mostly works
with a few hacks in libflac and my version of edcast. It might be that
the Ogg packaging layer is ill suited for this purpose, and an
alternative model developed.  I've seen that its possible to stream
native flac with netcat, but thats not really the solution I'm looking
for.

I'm also interested in another concept of lossless streaming with
flac. Lets call it broadcast flac. A problem with streaming for long
periods of time is that the sending and receiving computers clocks go
out of sync, for example even if I stream myself on localhost, with
something like 1 second of buffertime, the client will eat into that
over about one hour and run out of buffer causing a skip. It could
also theoretically keep getting more and more lagged until its way
behind. I'd like to develop a standard system that could be sent
between the server and client side to keep there clients in sync to a
fairly exacting amount of lag time behind the server (say 1.5 seconds,
I think you end up with about a half second of delay with flac
encoding no matter what but my brain is blanking on this right now,
meaning it would not be suitable for 'real time" remote sound mixing).
Anyway what could happen is the client could do a little bit of
re-sampling here or there to ensure its in sync with the servers
clock.

If anyone is interested in such things, or knows of an existing system
that I don't know of, give me a hollar!

-David