[Flac-dev] How to handle multiple STREAMINFO blocks?

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Tue Nov 16 01:59:25 PST 2010

It's certainly best to honor what the specification says.  My
assumption is that a "stream" could also be a continuous broadcast,
not just a file.  With a hypothetical server streaming FLAC
bitstreams, I would assume that the most recent STREAMINFO is valid
until another one comes along.  If you're writing a file player, then
perhaps you can trust the spec and assume that there will never be
more than one.  But I suppose it all depends upon which is easier to
handle in your code.  Some implementations might make it more
complicated to ignore spurious STREAMINFO blocks.  I'd say do
whatever is easiest, and bank on files not having more than one anyway.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting