[Flac-dev] (Universal) Ambisonic implementation

Martin Leese martin.leese at stanfordalumni.org
Mon Sep 21 15:04:30 PDT 2009

e deleflie <edeleflie at gmail.com>
> ok, I do realise that the extending the maximum channel count may be
> difficult ... there's gotta be a way to do it though.

Perhaps a comparison of the FLAC structure
with that of Vorbis will help.

Within a FLAC stream the audio is split into
blocks which are grouped (interleaved).  But
within each block the eight channels are
chained (sequential).  This makes sense
when there is a maximum of only eight
channels.

Within a Vorbis stream the audio is split into
frames which are grouped (interleaved).
Because a Vorbis stream can contain up to
256 channels, within each frame the channels
are also grouped (interleaved).

So, significantly increasing the number of
channels in a FLAC stream is not simple.  It
would require a second level of grouping
(interleaving).  In fact, it would require a whole
new file format.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org