[Flac-dev] (Universal) Ambisonic implementation

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Mon Sep 21 10:42:03 PDT 2009

On Sep 21, 2009, at 04:53, e deleflie wrote:
> The minimum things that Flac would need to implement to satisfy the
> 'file implementations' part of the spec is a bit of metadata and the
> extensions to channel counts.
>
> ok, I do realise that the extending the maximum channel count may be
> difficult ... there's gotta be a way to do it though.

Extending the channel count would break compatibility with the entire
installed base.  What about FLAC inside an Ogg container?  Can that
be done in such a way that two or more FLAC streams are interleaved?

As for the metadata, you merely need to register an application code
and develop your own format for the added data.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting