[Flac-dev] FLAC support for Android?

Dave Chapman dave at dchapman.com
Wed Feb 25 03:10:42 PST 2009

Hi,

I'm a developer with the Rockbox project - http://www.rockbox.org -
which is a written-from-scratch operating system and application suite
designed for portable audio players.

We of course support FLAC, and have a small, well-optimised (for
embedded targets, including ARM) decoder which I think would be perfect
for the devices Android runs on.  It is based on the decoder from
ffmpeg, and hence is licensed under the LGPL, with Rockbox specific code
licensed under the GPL.

I don't know if the GPL will be a problem with this part of Android.  If
the LGPL is compatible, then I'm sure the relevant Rockbox developers
(including myself) would be happy to donate their code under that license.

We initially implemented FLAC playback in Rockbox using libFLAC, but
achieved significant speed gains (and reduced code size) when switching
to the smaller ffmpeg decoder.  I'm afraid I don't have exact figures to
hand, but can try and dig them out if people are interested.

Our current decoder can decode a typical FLAC file using about 13MHz of
an arm7tdmi core.  On portable (battery-powered) devices, performance is
very important.

The Rockbox source code can be browsed here:

http://svn.rockbox.org/viewvc.cgi/trunk/

See apps/codecs/ for our codecs.

If I was going to attempt to implement this, I would definitely go for
the ffmpeg decoder, rather than libFLAC, assuming the license is OK.

Regards,

Dave.