[Flac-dev] FLAC support for Android?

Ben McCann ben at benmccann.com
Mon Feb 23 18:29:04 PST 2009

I envisioned this being implemented as a patch to Android at the OS level.
It looks like Android has native decoders which the media player and Java
APIs call.  My understanding is that T-Mobile pushes out over the air
updates of the operating system every so often.  For example, there's a new
version of the Android OS called
Cupcake<http://source.android.com/roadmap/cupcake>in the works.
Patching the OS would allow the default media player and
third party media players to play FLAC files on updated versions of the OS.
Conrad, you mentioned the OpenMax IL components.  I've posted links in the bug
report <%20http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1461> to
existing places in the code base that we'd have to hook into.  Perhaps you
could peek at those links and point to a place in the code where there's an
existing OpenMax component implementation to use as an example?
I'm pretty strong with Java, but since it turns out this needs to be done
natively, I'm not sure whether I would have the ability to patch Android
myself.  I at least wanted to find out if anyone else was working on it and
help come up with a design documented on the bug report, so that when
someone eventually does tackle it there will be a game plan in place.  As a
side note, if someone already involved in FLAC development were willing to
work on the feature, I'm pretty optimistic I could connect you to somone on
the Android side of things for design feedback, code reviews, etc.

-Ben