[Flac-dev] Hardware FLAC decoder

Cole Stewart cmestewa at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 13:18:47 PST 2008

I'd like to announce the first public demo of a hardware FLAC decoder
that I and three of my colleagues have been working on over the past 8
months.  This project has been developed as part of the University of
Waterloo's Fourth Year Design Project requirement for undergrad
students in Electrical & Computer Engineering.

Our decoder has been implemented in VHDL and is currently targeted on
an FPGA platform.  It interfaces with a simple microcontroller and an
on board DAC provided by our development board.

Currently, the hardware decoder is capable of decoding FLAC subset
streams with sample rates <= 48000Hz and 16-bits per sample.  The DAC
being used for our prototype demo is configured for 44100Hz stereo
audio, as the prototype was intended for use with CD sourced audio.
All synchronization and decoding functions have been implemented in
the hardware's state machine.

My team would like to thank Josh and everyone else who has worked on
the FLAC project for having such a well documented format and such
helpful mailing lists.

For background on the project, you can check out our project website:
http://hquad.project.googlepages.com/

or contact us at our team mailing list:
hquad.project at gmail.com

You can find out more about the design project symposium below:
http://eceprojects.uwaterloo.ca/symposium.html

The demo will take place on Wednesday, January 23rd, from 9am-8pm.  If
anyone is in the area and interested in attending, the event is open
to the public.  The symposium takes place in the University of
Waterloo's Davis Centre.

University of Waterloo
200 University Ave. W.
Waterloo, ON
Canada
N2L 3G1

Hope to see some of you there!

Regards,
Cole Stewart, Mark Eaves, Colin Lancaster & Jason Shirtliff