[Flac-dev] wav to flac corruption

Justin Waddell jwaddell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 16:55:49 PST 2008

I have exactly the same problem.

I encoded a BWF file to flac and then then decoded back to wav, using
--keep-foreign-metadata, and I ended up with a bit-perfect copy of the
original BWF. So I was fairly confident that the flac encoding is
working correctly, the problem definitely appears to be with the flac
players.

Unfortunately it seems that the majority of flac players cannot play
24bit files - winamp, windows media player (with flac plugin), vlc,
amarok, kaffeine and a few others ALL failed to play the file. I would
either get silence, static, or a complete refusal to play the file.
The only player that played it successfully was Foobar 2000 on
Windows.

More seriously from my point of view is the Java flac plugin also
fails, which has major repercussions for the project I work on (the
National Archives of Australia Xena project -
http://xena.sourceforge.net).

I don't know how much the flac developers have to do with the player
implementations, but this does seem to be a major problem across
almost the full board of flac players.

J.