[Flac-dev] Flac player for Android

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo tor-einar at jarnbjo.name
Fri Dec 26 17:24:07 PST 2008

Richard Ash skrev:
> That's interesting, because Ringdroid plays back WAV files on the
> device:
> http://code.google.com/p/ringdroid
Ringdroid simply points the Android MediaPlayer class to the local file
and tells it to play that file, meaning that Ringdroid will probably
support whatever file types supported by the actual Android
implementation. As long as there is only one Android implementation,
that may be a feasible solution, but I don't find any specs from Google
on which file types an Android device must support, so Android devices
from other vendors may or may not support PCM encoded WAV files. The
MediaPlayer API documentation is also very vague and only tells how to
play "something" from a data source, such as a local file or a network
URL, but does not specify which media types or network protocols are
supported. Using the currently available G1 handset, it would be
possible to decode a FLAC file to a WAV file before playing it, but I
doubt (experience based on other mobile devices) that it would e.g. be
feasible to simultaneously decode the FLAC file to a temporary WAV file
and playing the WAV file before decoding is finished.

Tor