[Flac-dev] partitioned_rice2 method

Santhosh N M santhosh at vinjey.com
Thu Apr 24 03:15:39 PDT 2008

Hi Pradeep,

    *Escape code is used to say that the partition is not coded using rice
coding, it is in unencoded form.
    *Now,  if a partition is coded using escape coding, we need to know how
many bits/sample is used for coding - this is given by n (a 5 bit number)
    *For 24 bps input, we need not use 24 bits to code the partition using
escape coding, it is based on the maximum value in the partition. For
example, in a 24 bps input, if all the samples in the partition is less than
16, then we can use only 5 bits (given by n) to code using escape coding
instead of 24 bits.
  a.. 00000-11110 : Rice parameter.
  b.. 11111 : Escape code, meaning the partition is in unencoded binary form
using n bits per sample; n follows as a 5-bit number.

Thanks and Regards,
Santhosh N M