[Flac-dev] partitioned_rice2 method

Pradeep D pradeep.d at ittiam.com
Wed Apr 23 23:34:23 PDT 2008

I have a doubt reg. RESIDUAL_CODING_METHOD_PARTITIONED_RICE2

http://flac.sourceforge.net/format.html#partitioned_rice2 tells that
5 bits are used to specify the Rice parameter.
And "Escape code, meaning the partition is in unencoded binary form
using n bits per sample; n follows as a 5-bit number"

Question:
What is the use of the "escape code" if we have to specify the Rice
parameter again using only 5 bits?
Is there any use of "escape code" at this place given that you will
anyway have to specify the Rice parameter using 5 bits only?

-Paradigm
No trees were destroyed due to the transmission of this email. However a
significant number of electrons were terribly troubled.

helpdesk at ittiam.com.