[Flac-dev] Support .cda as input files

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Fri Sep 14 14:53:57 PDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 05:35:04PM -0400, Dan Pritts wrote:

> the format for CD-ROM sets aside space for error correction and
> therefore has less available for data.

Red Book CD Audio still has error correction. Otherwise you'd *really*
notice the scratches.

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 01:10:09AM +0200, Harry Sack wrote:
> does anybody know why dvd use files for audio and video but audio cd's not?
> What could be the reason for this?

Otherwise, yes, as Dan said, The technology is almost 30 years old, and
it's designed much more like a digital phonograph than a computer
storage disk. CD-DA isn't even block addressable in the normal sense.
The data is written in a continuous spiral from start to finish, with
local signposts to help seeking.

At the time, I expect there was no expectation of using it for data
storage, and no need for the overhead of a conventional filesystem.

Even DVD-Video only provides the filesystem structure as a convenience.
IIRC it's possible to play a dvd by accessing the ifo files at a fixed
offset and using the embedded sector references.

 -r