[Flac-dev] Support .cda as input files

Dan Pritts danno at umich.edu
Fri Sep 14 14:35:04 PDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 01:10:09AM +0200, Harry Sack wrote:
> does anybody know why dvd use files for audio and video but audio cd's not?
> What could be the reason for this?

the format for CD-ROM sets aside space for error correction and
therefore has less available for data.

CD audio does not have any error correction, and so has more room
for data.  Presumably they believed it was better to

  - accept that errors would get through, and that they would be mostly
    inaudible
  - have more space for data, so they could deliver better quality or
    longer music than they otherwise would
  - have audio cd readers be simpler, not have to interpret a filesystem
    format.

I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me if the CD-ROM format were
an afterthought.

Remember, this was the early 80's.  Probably the 70's when the design
work was done.

DVD came on a lot later, with the historical context of CD behind it.

> does anybody knows if super audio cd's still work the same as normal ones?

no idea.