[Flac-dev] Support .cda as input files

Daniel Aleksandersen aleksandersen+xiphlists at runbox.com
Thu Sep 13 13:47:55 PDT 2007

On 2007-09-13, Ivo wrote:
> On 9/13/07, Daniel Aleksandersen <aleksandersen+xiphlists at runbox.com>
wrote:
> > I know that. However when you put an audio CD in a computer you will
> > see them as files with the .cda extension. Supporting this 'format'
> > would make encoding simpler as users would not need to 'rip' to a
> > format, but could drag and drop the files from the CD to the computer.
>
> You still do not understand.  The only way for something like that to
> work would be for FLAC to rip the audio data from the CD, which is not
> something the FLAC encoder does, nor I believe Josh is planning to
> change it to perform such task.

What I mean is that most operating systems—exclusing Mac OS 10—provides
audio files from CDs in this format by default. So being able to encode
from it would make the process easier for users.

> Xiph provides you with cdparanoia to rip Audio CDs. There are other
> rippers around, too. Most can be configured to encode directly the
> extracted data as FLAC.

Yeah, I know about cdparanoia—which by the way does not work on my 64bit
system—and other ripping tools. I am only suggesting supporting .cda as a
way to avoid ripping alltogether (from a user's perspective anyways).
--
Daniel Aleksandersen