[Flac-dev] Adding support for .w64 (wave64) format

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-flac at mega-nerd.com
Tue May 29 23:09:09 PDT 2007

Chris Cantwell wrote:

> I use Sony (previously Sonic Foundry) Sound Forge, which allows me to save
> audio files in .w64 (Wave 64) format to get around the 2GB .wav file

<snip>

> compress them to make it fit.  Right now I have to break a .w64 file up into
> 2 .wav files with Sound Forge, then compress each .wav file individually
> with flac.  Or burn extra DVDs.

libsndfile ( http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/ ) reads W64 and
writes FLAC.

libsndfile also ships with a command line program (sndfile-convert)
which should do the conversion you're after by doing:

    sndfile-convert somefile.w64 somefile.flac

The FLAC stuff in libsndfile was updated recently but has not been
released yet, so I suggest that you grab the latest pre-release:

    http://www.mega-nerd.com/tmp/libsndfile-1.0.18pre10.tar.gz

HTH,
Erik