[Flac-dev] Adding support for .w64 (wave64) format

Chris Cantwell cjcantwell at comcast.net
Tue May 29 22:57:04 PDT 2007

I use Sony (previously Sonic Foundry) Sound Forge, which allows me to save
audio files in .w64 (Wave 64) format to get around the 2GB .wav file
limitation.  W64 was invented by Sonic Foundry, and is an open format as far
as I know.  The only programs I know about using the .w64 format at the
moment are Sound Forge and Steinberg Nuendo, although there may be others
out there.  With increasing number of tapers recording concerts in 24bit,
which takes up 50% more disk space than 16bit files at the same sample rate
(about 1GB per hour), it is easy to blow past 2GB for a single file, which
is roughly 2 hrs of audio.  Some audio editors will stop after the 2GB limit
is reached, or start recording a new file, but Sound Forge will keep on
trucking when recording in .w64 format.  I can see this format becoming more
popular in the future.  I can then edit the raw .w64 file in Sound Forge and
convert it to 16bit-44Khz for tracking/burning to a CD.  The problem comes
when I try to archive the raw audio .w64 files to DVD - sometimes I need to
compress them to make it fit.  Right now I have to break a .w64 file up into
2 .wav files with Sound Forge, then compress each .wav file individually
with flac.  Or burn extra DVDs.

So I would like to request adding .w64 support to flac.  It would make
archiving these files easier.

Thanks,

Chris