[Flac-dev] Compression of existing FLAC files

Dan Pritts danno at umich.edu
Fri May 18 11:09:34 PDT 2007

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 09:02:52PM -0500, Gordon Gidluck wrote: >
> You might experiment with encoding levels to see how much space you
> can save. From my experience, the default level 5 provides reasonable
> compression. The higher the level, the longer it takes to encode.

I did some experimentation with this myself a while ago.

I found that

  flac -l 12 -b 4608 -m -r 4 $wavfyle -o $tmpfyle

provided useful additional compression with not too much additional
CPU time vs. the default.  I did not save my specific time and
compression ratio data, alas.

My notes from when i did the comparison say:

  this is like "flac -6" quality but -l bumped from 8 to 12.  -7 and
  -8 use extremely CPU-expensive -e option that doesn't buy much, but
  the -l 12 from "-8" is cheap and helpful.

I don't remember what -l and -e do :)

this was on an old redhat 9 box, pentium 4 CPU.  YMMV.

danno
--
dan pritts
danno at umich.edu