[Flac-dev] Compression of existing FLAC files

Gordon Gidluck gidluck at alltel.net
Thu May 17 19:02:52 PDT 2007

Hello Karl,
There is a good list of software on the following page:
http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#software

I have run FLAC frontend on windows XP. There is a tool called MacFLAC on OSX. Both of these are free.

One of those should get you going. If you want to experiment with the command line program flac.exe it is pretty easy to figure out. Run it with flac.exe --help or flac.exe --explain to explain the various program options.

To just convert a file to FLAC level 5 (the default) you just type...

flac.exe filename.wav

It's that simple.

If you want level 8...

flac.exe -8 filename.wav

You might experiment with encoding levels to see how much space you can save. From my experience, the default level 5 provides reasonable compression. The higher the level, the longer it takes to encode.

Gordon