[Flac-dev] FLAC support for floating point

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Fri Mar 30 17:15:03 PDT 2007

When you say "why not have support for it build into FLAC," you're
really just talking about the reference implementation of FLAC.
Nothing is stopping you from writing your own software to do this.
You just can't change the FLAC format itself.

I think it would be very interesting to have an independent tool
which reads 32-bit float format files when encoding FLAC, and
possibly even produces 32-bit float when decoding.  It would not be
bit-accurate if you used the reference libFLAC implementation because
it is currently limited to 24-bit, and thus you would probably need
some kind of dithering during the float-to-in conversion for best
results.  But if you were willing to take on the task of writing a
full encoder, you could cram 32-bit float samples into 32-bit integer
FLAC.  There would still be losses under certain circumstances, but
probably not for audio which sticks to the +/- 1.0 standard reference
levels.

Trouble with all of this theoretical stuff is that these files might
not play with standard FLAC decoders.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting