[Flac-dev] Problem moving to 1.1.3

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 29 18:19:26 PST 2007

--- Aaron Graham <atgraham at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm working on an embedded product, upgrading it from 1.1.2 to 1.1.3.
> I'm getting lousy compression for FLAC files that are encoded with
> 1.1.3 (integer only).  The resulting FLAC files still sound correct
> and will decode properly, but are only compressed about 10% even when
> compressed at the highest level (I get about 40% compression with the
> same files in 1.1.2).

Aaron, very sorry for not getting back sooner, somehow this
slipped by... the integerized flavor of the encoder currently
only supports fixed prediction (no LPC) so the compression ratio
will be lower.  but it should not be 30% worse.  is it 30% worse
between integer 1.1.3 and integer 1.1.2?  or float 1.1.2?

also could you provide a short sample, .wav and integer-1.1.3-
compressed .flac?