[Flac-dev] Re: [xiph-rtp] Re: [Vorbis-dev] Proposal: An extension to rules all others

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 11:18:32 PST 2007

An addition of the MIME type to the first Ogg page doesn't make much
sense, since that Ogg page already belongs to one of the logical
bitstreams in the stream.

We had a long discussion about how to do this right when developing
the Annodex format
(http://annodex.net/TR/draft-pfeiffer-annodex-02.txt), which has been
built to provide this functionality and others.

In the end, we defined what is now know as "skeleton"
(http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/Ogg_Skeleton) and as an additional
logical bitstream at the beginning of an Ogg file that contains
information o the other logical bitstreams inside the Ogg file.

This is the only way to provide this information without breaking
existing specifications.

However, it requires that Ogg parsing software be adapted to also
parse Skeleton.

Some of the software has already been adapted for it - others hasn't.

Silvia.