[Flac-dev] Re: Is FLAC fully cooked for OS X yet?

Arek Korbik arkadini at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 20:44:52 PST 2007

On 2/21/07, Brian Willoughby <brianw at sounds.wa.com> wrote:

> The key to Arek comment is that the project files only work with 1.1.2 FLAC.
>  Even in those days, the Xcode project was not fully operational.  I gave up
> on using it, and I think everyone else did.  You basically have no hope of
> just pulling it out of the repository and expecting it to work.

Brian, you probably mean the 'Project Builder' project - FLAC sources
don't have an Xcode project (the 1.1.2 Xcode project I mentioned was
the one I offered some time ago on the list). And I agree - despite
the '1.1.4' string appearing in the project file it seems to be
'structurally' seriously out-dated. Josh, perhaps something could be
done with it? At the moment it seems to me to be more confusing than
useful.

> Those of you who need Xcode are going to have to find someone to put
> together a new Xcode project that works with 1.1.3 (hopefully one that works
> better than the 1.1.2 project was working in its day), and check that in to
> the repository.  Seeing as how it is not absolutely necessary, I can see why
> nobody has stepped up to do this.

XiphQT uses and contains an Xcode project for building the most basic
FLAC elements. The project files are now included in XiphQT's sources
and can be found in:

http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/xiph-qt/build-macosx/flac-support/

(I've just updated it to work correctly with FLAC 1.1.4). At the
moment it only builds static libs and frameworks for FLAC and FLAC++,
without ogg support, no tools, no tests and expects to find FLAC
sources in a specific relative location. But I suppose you could use
it as a starting point in creating a full equivalent of the FLAC's
autotools-based build system.

I'd be happy to check any changes into XiphQT's repository, but to
have it checked into FLAC's repository you would need to ask Josh.

Arek